What I offer
- I offer journalism, magazine editorship and creative writing skills honed over nearly 40 years.
- I work with small and large texts, online and in print.
- I work a piece of writing until every word has earned its place, and it has a finely-tuned narrative structure.
- I project manage and edit publications taking them from planning stage to completion and producing them on time, and on budget.
I learnt my skills on the job
- As an international Reader's Digest writer where I researched and wrote on subjects such as the history and origins of curry, New Zealand pounamu and Drama-in Real Life in the Australian Outback. Each time the emphasis was on researching a subject in depth and then creating a tight, tension-filled narrative.
- As Four Corners' editor at North & South magazine where creating a strong, coherent narrative was a key focus.
- During 11 years at the University of Auckland as an editor, writer and Publications Team Leader working on texts as diverse as an academic's Opinion piece, the Chancellor's Graduation address, the Annual Report, online content for the Staff Intranet and external-facing University website, or copy for a billboard on University history.
- At the University of Auckland I edited the alumni magazine Ingenio and research publication Auckland Now, working with contract photographers and writers, as well as designers, printers and mail-houses.
- As I researched widely and worked through numerous drafts to create a coherent, tightly written beginning, middle and end for my first novel which was published by Makaro Press in March 2018.